My fascination for the Universe runs deeper than the depths of the universe itself and the more I learn about it, the more it mesmerizes me. I would love to sketch the beauty of the universe with my own words but I fear that will result in a futile attempt so I'll let the facts/theories speak for themselves :-
1. Approximately 400 billion stars exist in our galaxy alone.
2. The thing that amazes scientists is not what resides in the light but what hides in the dark. 4% of our universe comprises of matter, 24% or dark matter and 72% or dark energy.
3. Currently 4 galaxies are merging with each other far away and can result in a single massive galaxy 10 times bigger than ours.
4. Shapley is a cluster of galaxies which is 400 light years long and it would take trillion of years for our fastest satellite to pass through it.
5. Milky way extends to 100,000 light years and the CD galaxy is 60 times bigger than ours.
6. If the rate of expansion of the universe right after the Big Bang had changed by 1 part in a quintillion (1,000,000,000,000,000,000 = 1 quintillion) then nothing would have ever existed. To illustrate just how small this number (one part in a quintillion ) is, imagine all the grains of sand in the world's beaches (the number would probably be 1 quintillion) .So in this analogy if all that sand represented the rate of expansion then how many grains of sand would be needed to wreck the universe?......Just 1 grain ----- What Precision !!!
7. Diameter of the universe is 93 billion light years and extending.
8. There are 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe.
9. The largest known super massive black hole is 10 billion times the mass of sun (300,000 earths = sun)
And lastly something to be dazzled at yourself .........
10. The iron in our body (less than 1% probably) comes from supernova (explosion of stars). Which essentially means that a small portion of our body is made of stars !!!
These 10 points are the merest piece of information about our awesome creator and the universe is the source of my faith and hope in ALLAH which I will discuss in my next post.
1. Source of data is The Universe documentary by History Channel (1 & 2 season).
2. Albeit it cannot be argued that all most every information about the universe should be treated as theories and not facts since these are not precise calculations. But these figures do give an idea about the mystical nature of the universe.